



## **Steering Committee**

**Joyce Johnson**  
MSJC  
*Co-Chair*

**Lucie Gonzalez**  
Riverside County  
Office of Education  
*Co-Chair*

**Nohora Vazquez**  
Lake Elsinore USD  
*Co-Director*

**Jasmine Port**  
MSJC  
*Co-Director*

**Melissa Lee**  
Banning USD  
*Member*

**Matthew Centofranchi**  
Hemet USD  
*Member*

**Anthony Coronado**  
Beaumont USD  
*Member*

**Steve Rausa**  
Murrieta Valley USD  
*Member*

**Dr. Pauline Garcia**  
Perris UHSD  
*Member*

**Ken Swanson**  
San Jacinto USD  
*Member*

**Tim Dignan**  
Temecula Valley USD  
*Member*

**AEP Steering Committee Meeting**  
**Fri., Sept. 8, 2023 - 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.**

**MVC – Building 3000, Rm 3026**  
**28237 La Piedra Rd., Menifee, CA**

## **MINUTES**

### **Participants:**

Tim Dignan – Temecula, Lucie M. Gonzalez – RCOE, Blair Bradley – Hemet, Jasmine Port, Miriam Brijandez, Nancy Carr – MSJC, Pauline Garcia – Perris, Michelle Smith – Murrieta, Nohora Vazquez – Lake Elsinore, Todd Peel, Ken Swanson – San Jacinto, Melissa Lee – Banning, Ruth Stanton – California Family Life Center, Anthony Coronado – Beaumont

### **I. Call to Order:**

Meeting called to order at 9:04 a.m. by Jasmine Port

### **II. Review/Approval of August 11, 2023 Minutes**

- Tim Dignan, Temecula, moved to approve minutes
- Ken Swanson, San Jacinto, second
- All approved, so moved

### **III. Consortium Social Media Posts:**

**Nohora:** We have an update on the social media campaign and they have our organic postings for social media. Some pictures do not belong to a specific agency and in general terms as we move forward, we have a specific request that you follow us to check what they are representing for your agency. They created a folder where you can post messages specific to your agency and we need to take advantage of this.

**Jasmine:** We need each agency to provide two pieces of content to advertise your agency. This is your opportunity to spotlight what you want with your agency. We need to provide that content, so we need two posts from each agency per month. You don't need to provide the flyer, just the information that will be contained in the post. We need to get on a schedule and Nancy will help with reminders. We will create that folder where your items can be submitted.

**Nohora:** You can submit what you want so we can have that presence and take advantage. I will get in contact with counselors to post other activities. Counselors are putting together a monthly newsletter and we will advertise the partnerships we have throughout the communities.

**Jasmine:** We have to do our part to grow, the website will launch this year.

#### **IV. Professional Development Venue and Budget Approval:**

**Jasmine:** We need to review and provide approval for our event this year so we looked into venues. Steve suggested South Coast Winery and we've identified them as a viable venue for us with space and breakout rooms. Wednesday, October 18, 2023 from 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. and we want an open invite to 200 people. All staff, faculty, data clerks would be included. We are looking for a budget approval of Not To Exceed \$25,000.

- Tim Dignan, Temecula, moved to approve budget for FA23 Professional Development
- Ken Swanson, San Jacinto, second
- All approved, so moved

**Blair:** Are we going to have support funds for our staff to attend.

**Jasmine:** Yes, we will support their attendance.

**Nohora:** If you need to cover the classes and you are bringing those not on duty for the night. If you don't have the funds there is paperwork that needs to be completed for reimbursement. You will need to provide a declaration of funds to Lisette as soon as possible to provide that compensation for the staff. Your fiscal may have to cover it and then the funds will be replaced so if you are asking for funds it needs to be done ASAP. If you have the extra funds, use them.

**Jasmine:** We will start sending out save the dates, invitations, emails and the planning will be moving full speed ahead now.

#### **V. Professional Development Keynote and Student/Staff Speakers:**

**Jasmine:** We need to identify our keynote speaker and we need student speakers as well.

**Tim:** I suggest Blair.

**Blair:** I think we need to look into having a superintendent.

**Anthony:** Mentioned that his superintendent may be able to speak at the event.

**Tim:** Or someone like Mr. Washington or Dr. Edwin Gomez.

**Pauline:** Will students be speaking during keynote?

**Jasmine:** Yes, they will and the breakout rooms will be by subject so the leads will be leading the breakout sessions. Last year, we had each lead support an area so we will be supporting that model for this year again. If you have any ideas, bring them forward.

**Nohora:** We will be contacting you before Oct. 9<sup>th</sup> and what your contribution will be, we will practice on the 9<sup>th</sup> with the presentation for the event.

**Jasmine:** We will get all those items together.

**Tim:** There is the Fairfield Inn which would put us closer for possible future event. Have heard great things about events there.

#### **VI. Directors' Event Travel Costs Approval:**

**Jasmine:** Travel requirement from the state to attend and Lucie is going to go so we need to approve the costs from unallocated fiscal funds 21-22, PY2.

**Lucie:** The costs are just under \$1,500.00 so would need approval for NTE \$1,500.00 including airfare, hotel and most meals are included.

- Tim Dignan, Temecula, moved to approve budget for Lucie Gonzalez to travel to the CAEP Directors Event – Sept. 14, 2023 in Sacramento
- Melissa Lee, Banning, second
- All approved, so moved

#### **VII. Data Meeting Report Out:**

**Blair:** Nohora has worked with them, and they are really getting it. Even with new people they are coming on with good questions and they know the answers. They all help each other and there is so much capacity among them.

**Nohora:** We will include your team in the support and the meetings are at 1:00 p.m. on the Thursday prior to our regular steering committee meetings and we want them to have the time away from their regular duties to be able to do the training. We have our data members demonstrate how to do surveys like a student that does not have a Social Security Number and their need to provide answers to a survey. The data teams need to know what we have in place and how they need to collect the data. They have to spend so much time on phone calls with things people don't want to answer in the surveys. Statewide they have a goal for surveys, and we need to get 50% of students who don't have SS #. The admins are doing a great job, but we need to give them direction in terms in how to collect the information we need. I will send you the consent and you will decide where you want to put that consent in their interaction with your program. They only have to provide consent if they provide an SSN. There is a TIN, and we have many that work with that tax ID and we can take that.

**Michelle:** What about having that consent in the room when they are e-testing?

**Blair:** At orientation we let them know that this will be required, and it will be collected during e-testing and that way the state is the keeper of the information. The data people need to know what our expectations and responsibilities are regarding policy.

**Nohora:** What I feel needs to happen is that needs to come from the leads and the steps to obtain the survey and why the information is needed. I will send you the consent and if you want to talk with me or Blair, we can assist.

**Blair:** First quarter DIRs and go over what is a red flag for quarter one we will talk about importing the data cleaner and then a breakout for WIOA on Co-Apps and if there is anything you want from us, let us know and we can go that way too.

**Jasmine:** We need to offer a huge thank you to Nohora and Blair and sharing what they know and

finding out what admins need to manage the data.

**Nohora:** This is for Tim; Laura is doing a great job but who is she under at the school?

**Tim:** She works under the principal, and she should talk to Susan and the principal.

**Blair:** Let's look at your DIR together.

**Nohora:** We will meet the Thursday before our meeting in October.

**Pauline:** I would like to be included in the meetings to learn more about this.

#### **VIII. Program Satisfaction Survey Reminder:**

**Jasmine:** This is a reminder that we are not renewing WestEd and last year we went to a Program Satisfaction Survey for students, and we need to continue to collect that data.

**Nohora:** We want these surveys at the end of each semester. We need to figure out how we are doing it, is it individually or as a collective. We need your input to what you have in place and whether you want to be part of a collective effort, so we need to hear from you.

**Lucie:** I need to go back and look at our registration packet and we do have some questions there, but I agree we could utilize a Survey Monkey system to gather the information and get the input that we need. I think shared data is very important.

**Blair:** Our student council wrote one last year that we used and they created the questions from a student prospective and I will provide that to you.

**Anthony:** We had something we had to use for our Nursing Program. I will send that material over to you.

**Jasmine:** If we create our survey and each agency can deploy their data. For now, a reminder that we will be implementing this survey.

**Blair:** Ours came from the students that made it peer-to-peer and students asking each other about their feelings about the program.

#### **IX. Student Support Services:**

**Nohora:** The website is almost ready to be launched but there is one aspect that they need. I will create that piece, but I need to know your student support services. Mostly we advertise our courses but there is no tab that provides information on support services. We should have that listed and should be on your website and WIOA requires that you publish your student support services.

**Jasmine:** With MSJC we have our counselor services, but the college shows more, and we will have to get together on that.

**Blair:** Do we include what we do with referrals for services to partners?

**Nohora:** We will provide that information on partner services, but we need to know what you have. Even orientation is a support service, employment referral is a support service, counseling is a support service. You can highlight with the support that MSJC counselors provide. If you provide

childcare, that is a support service. Other things like transportation vouchers, GED and HiSet vouchers, testing centers, community assistance referrals. Send that via email and we will include that on the website.

**Blair:** We have people we refer to legal services.

**Nohora:** We need to back up the support we provide. If you work with CalWorks, we want that listed. That will be coming up again in September/October. If you offer adult ed classes, you have access to these funds.

**X. Comments:**

**Ruth:** At Planet Youth we are running a masonry program and they will get certified with our program and we get students familiar with construction and OSHA. We will probably have another in the spring, and we have some students in another program going to school half days and doing work related tasks for the other half of the day. We had two students that signed up to do Phlebotomy. Rubidoux is going strong with YTECH. We will do Microsoft classes, childcare classes so they get a taste of what it is like to go to a class and if they like it, we try to get them involved with MSJC. We serve students age 18-24.

**XI. Adjourn:**

- Ken Swanson, San Jacinto moved to adjourn
- Tim Dignan, Temecula, second
- Approved, so moved

Jasmine Port adjourned the meeting at 10:21 a.m.