



## **Steering Committee**

**Joyce Johnson**  
MSJC  
*Chair*

**Nohora Vazquez**  
Lake Elsinore USD  
*Co-Director*

**Jasmine Port**  
MSJC  
*Co-Director*

**Melissa Lee**  
Banning USD  
*Member*

**Matthew Centofranchi**  
Hemet USD  
*Member*

**Anthony Coronado**  
Beaumont USD  
*Member*

**Morgan Quick**  
Murrieta Valley USD  
*Member*

**Dr. Pauline Garcia**  
Perris UHSD  
*Member*

**Ken Swanson**  
San Jacinto USD  
*Member*

**David Schlottman**  
Temecula Valley USD  
*Member*

**Nicole Ramirez**  
Riverside County  
Office of Education  
*Member*

AEP Steering Committee Meeting  
Fri., March 14, 2025 - 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.

**MVC – Building 3000, Rm 3026  
28237 La Piedra Rd., Menifee, CA**

## **MINUTES**

### **Participants:**

Blair Bradley – Hemet, Nancy Carr, Miriam Brijandez, Jasmine Port – MSJC, Nohora Vazquez – Lake Elsinore, Pauline Garcia – Perris, Anthony Coronado – Beaumont Morgan Quick – Murrieta, Ken Swanson – San Jacinto, Melissa Lee – Banning, David Schlottman, Chris Rivard – Temecula, Nicole Ramirez, Arthur Kimball – RCOE, Marlon Hernandez – SRAE Transition Specialist, Lenore DeJesus – CFLC

### **I. Call to Order:**

Meeting called to order at 9:05 a.m. by Jasmine Port

### **II. Approval of February 7, 2025 Minutes**

- Ken Swanson, San Jacinto, moved to approve the minutes
- David Schlottman, Temecula second
- All approved, so moved

### **III. Community Forum Update and Catering and Budget Approval**

**Jasmine:** We are trying to open our event to more people. We still have about 30 seats to fill. We are inviting the UDW union, and we want to bring them in. If you have any heavy hitters you want to invite, get those out. We are about a month and a half out.

**Nohora:** We want you to invite people from your agency and the leads to make sure they are participating in the event so they can see the work that we are going to do. If you know of someone who is planning on coming and they aren't on the list, be sure to reach out to them.

**Jasmine:** Review of the format for the day. We want to be interactive this year. We will have fact sheets, three-year plan information and showcasing our ASE programs, ESL programs, etc. We will have two members present on that piece. We will focus also on CTE training. We will be having a community and civic engagement panel. Pauline will lead the discussion. We will discuss building capacity in our consortium PD, getting our admins. Involved and we'll finish with the student panel for the feel-good finale. We will need to narrow these down in closed session and nail down what that content is.

**Nohora:** We are taking a broad approach this year so think of how we can showcase the consortium, we want them to see us all as one.

**Jasmine:** Volunteers – Blair – Student Panel, Pauline - Community Panel, Morgan and Melissa - ASE, David, Arthur and Anthony- ESL, Ken – Building Capacity, Nicole – Data, Jasmine and Nohora – Overview

We need to think about what we are doing at-large. We need you to brainstorm what that looks like.

**Nohora:** We will have your coordinate the delivery of your presentation. Try to make that fun and work that in your calendars to get your presentation prepared.

**Blair:** I need to know the student panel now, so I have time to prep them.

**Nohora:** Yes, please identify your students now so we can allow time to plan.

**Arthur:** RCOE is trying to identify someone for the event.

**Jasmine:** We will have a meeting on April 7<sup>th</sup> via Zoom to meet with us to hear what is happening.

**Blair:** We will need tables with microphones at the front of the room to be set up for the panels and I'll make the request for that.

**Jasmine:** We are looking for NTE for \$6,500.00 for the catering for the event.

- Ken Swanson, San Jacinto, moved to approve NTE \$6,500.00
- David Schlottman, Temecula second
- All approved, so moved

#### **IV. Retreat Budget Approval:**

**Jasmine:** June 13<sup>th</sup>, we will need suggestions for viable locations and bring that to the April meeting. We will be meeting from 9:00 to 3:00. Last year we spent \$885.00 – once we determine a location, we will determine the expenditure at the April meeting.

#### **V. CFLC Gala Sponsorship – Pechanga Budget Approval:**

**Jasmine:** We are looking forward to supporting the event. It is Saturday, April 26, 2025 at Pechanga

- Ken Swanson, San Jacinto, moved to approve NTE \$700.00
- David Schlottman, Temecula second
- All approved, so moved

## **VI. N & R Publication Budget Approval:**

**Jasmine:** We want some kind of takeaway for the attendees and leadership and community leaders. Many adult schools and consortiums have worked with this company. They will create a story board that has professional content. We want to bring them on to support the souvenir that we want to provide. We can provide information about our members and data. The cost for this is \$13,000.00, not including printing. We can also integrate the content after the event to our website and agencies. Four stories, eight pages long. They will produce it in a way that everyone is represented. We need these stories out to support our outreach.

**Nohora:** They will incorporate facts around the stories for the publication. We will get to choose the content area that we want.

**David:** I want to have something that they will hold on to and read. I like visuals and the marketing, but I want to be sure it is something they will read.

**Nicole:** They will provide a campaign.

**Jasmine:** They will have it to take away from the event and then we will have the electronic version for our website and social media. As a team we need to determine how we want to use it. These aren't just data points, they are stories that hook the reader.

**Ken:** This is a nice piece but what else do you want to have.

**Pauline:** I like the idea, and it is hard to bring awareness to Adult Ed. We have to share the information we have with our leaders and the community. Having electronic outreach and getting our information out is important.

**Melissa:** I like the idea of stories, more relatable.

**Ken:** This type of thing can generate additional media and possibly provide some free advertising.

**Jasmine:** They worked on the chancellor's office newsletter. Organizations are using the content.

**Blair:** We aren't looking for recruitment but getting the story out to more people to inform about Adult Ed. and ensure our survival and finding allies.

**Nohora:** Many of us face different challenges regarding support in our agencies so we need to validate our work. If they don't know our story, then this can put pressure on our leadership to recognize what we do and keep that level of respect.

**Ken:** We need to go beyond the community and throughout the country to deal with the cuts in federal funding. We need to have an impact and have faces tied to that. It is about students and advocating.

- Ken Swanson, San Jacinto, moved to approve NTE \$14,000.00 for publication/souvenir program for the event.
- David Schlottman, Temecula second
- All approved, so moved

**Jasmine:** We'll need to move on this fast to get the content to N & R. Can we identify a date that we can meet with them to get the storyboard going? Mon., Mar. 24<sup>th</sup> after 12:30 – 2:00? In that session we'll lay out our needs. Save that time and I will get Jeff to confirm and hope that day will work.

## **VII. Survey Monkey Check-In:**

**Jasmine:** Looks like we are all onboard and now we will start building a survey to aggregate the data and will provide a template for you to use at your agency. We are looking at a program survey.

**Nohora:** You will need to do a Declaration of Funds. You will get an invoice per year. If you send us a copy of the contract, an invoice with a declaration, we can reimburse based on that.

## **VIII. Three-Year Plan Focus Group**

**Jasmine:** We will be having it on Monday, April 7<sup>th</sup> with data and faculty personnel to make sure we have their participation. We will have a focus group for students. If your forum speaker would like to join. Please locate your participant and have that to us by March 28<sup>th</sup> to attend the Zoom focus group. Nohora and I are facilitating that group, and we will have an overview presentation, and it would be wonderful if you could come and introduce yourself, so the team knows who you are. Students will need to share their experiences. We will have a community, faculty and support staff groups. At the April meeting we will be doing a lead focus group.

## **IX. Member Effectiveness Intervention Plan**

**Blair:** We will be working on our percentages later in the meeting. We have a situation and need to go over the CAEP guidance that supersedes our by-laws. There are two remedies available:

### **VOLUNTARY REDUCTION OF FUNDS**

- (A) The member no longer wishes to provide services consistent with the adult education plan. OR
- (B) The member cannot provide services that address the needs in the adult education plan.

Action: If a member no longer wishes to provide services or cannot provide services, if possible, reallocate their funds to other members in the consortium. The consortium membership should amend planning documentation to ensure services are being covered in the region (as a result of a member that no longer wishes to provide services or cannot provide services). The consortium must also notify the CAEP Offices and update the DVAD allocation schedule for the upcoming program year.

### **REDUCTION OF FUNDS DUE TO MEMBER INEFFECTIVENESS**

- (C) The member has been consistently ineffective in providing services that address the needs identified in the adult education plan.

Actions: If a consortium determines that a member has been consistently ineffective in providing services that address the needs identified in the adult education plan, and is not following the member requirements as listed in the CAEP Program Guidance Section 5, and the Annual Plan General Assurances, the consortium must take the following steps:

1. The consortium must monitor member performance related to the CAEP assurances and identify members for non-compliance.
2. **Document the members' ineffectiveness (what requirements are they not meeting, etc.)**

3. **Notify the member that they are being monitored for effectiveness and their funds could be reduced as a result.**
4. Consortium must provide members technical assistance and/or reach out to the CAEP Technical Assistance Project (TAP) as part of the reasonable intervention to help their members.
5. Provide the information in #1-#4 to the CAEP Office.
6. If no improvements after steps #1-5, the consortium may proceed in reducing the member's funding.
7. If a consortium chooses to decrease the members funding, the consortium must document the reason, the technical assistance/reasonable intervention provided, and the public meeting minutes of how/when the decision was made. This documentation must be posted to the consortium Supporting Documentation section in NOVA. The consortium will copy the CAEP Office on all correspondence related to member funding reduction.

## HISTORY

RCOE Desert Edge School was previously partially funded through CAEP with the larger part provided by the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. The initial CAEP (AEBG) allocation was based on the number of students served at the inception of this funding model – 11.53% of the SRAE allocation. At the end of the 2020-21 school year the Sheriff's Department cut their portion of the funding. Prior to this cut there were four full-time teachers (4 FTE) between the two jails servicing the students in the HSE/HSE/ESL programs. Since 2021-22, there has been 0.3 FTE teachers to 3 and the 2 instructional aide positions were eliminated. It is also important to note that there is a full-time teacher at the Day Reporting Center who is not funded through CAEP, but whose data appears in the CAEP tables.

	Enrollees	Participants	EFL Gains	HSD/HSE
2018-19	649	543	150	43
2019-20	626	466	142	54
2020-21	606	437	42	6
2021-22	465	372	105	45
2022-23	143	101	10	5
2023-24	288	250	20	7
2024-25	181	156	11	3

As you see in the bylaws, there are two paths forward.

- RCOE can voluntarily reduce its allocation in line with the number of students it can serve given the elimination of Sheriff's Department funding.
- RCOE is put on an intervention monitoring cycle with a specific plan with technical assistance from fellow consortium members / CAEP TAP.

**Blair:** If we look at the data prior to the Sheriff's dept. funding cut. The numbers were high and after the end of the funding it didn't drop off that badly. Then when we look from 2022 and on. Enrollees participation is decent but the outcomes the numbers have plummeted. As we see in the guidance, there are two paths forward.

- Blair Bradley, Hemet moved that we find RCOE ineffective and to have them choose an option by April 11, 2025 so the funds can be reallocated or to choose to be assisted to bring the numbers back up and have a plan to do it. Choose between one of the two options outlined.
- Melissa Lee, Banning, second
- Unanimous approval, so moved

**Nohora:** We want to be transparent with RCOE so they understand the data and the trends and the situation has been exposed so now is the time.

**David:** What does RCOE think?

**Nicole:** We are looking at the intervention option. We are working with teachers and staff to build a three-year plan on how we are going to bring more students into the program.

**Jasmine:** There was an acknowledgment from Dr. McCarty that the agency needs to recalibrate, and the conversation was moving towards intervention. It was a heads up as to where they were at and what plans will look like going forward as a CAEP organization.

**Anthony:** What does an intervention plan look like?

**Blair:** It is an ongoing effort, and they will determine what they are able to do to maintain their allotment, they have that option, but it is ongoing monitoring intervention and assistance. It won't be three years.

**Nohora:** It is year one and the implementation of their practices in their action plan. We will need to see that they are reaching their targets. We will reassess at the end of year one to see if you are out of intervention and then after that at year two the members will have the vote to reduce funding.

**Jasmine:** This is all about how we can support each other in this consortium.

**David:** I'm glad to know this and it's nice to see that it is being handled with grace and that they are working with us.

**Arthur:** Moving forward we will work to correct what we can and if we can't then that is how it will come out.

**Blair:** It isn't on RCOE but more so on the Sheriff's department pulling their funding. We know there has been a struggle with their data.

**Nohora:** This is a good opportunity for all of us to understand what we need to produce to achieve our mission and to be sure we have the support to be successful. We have a responsibility to intervene to take the steps needed to remedy and we can help to get each member where they need to be. It is part of our three-year plan. We are at a time where we need to reflect how we are moving forward because CAEP is bringing more.

**Pauline:** Is there an intervention that needs to be submitted?

**Jasmine:** They will bring it to the April 11, 2025 meeting.

## **X. Comments:**

**David:** We had some questions regarding our special education students for evening classes by our district to keep kids safe at night?

**Nohora:** Your district might give you some directions and we are to serve the students. We give them the background. The only accommodation is curriculum for those students.

Anthony and Morgan indicated their agencies are similar.

**Blair:** Be careful.

**Nohora:** We provide a formal exit meeting with the parents, so the parents withdraw the student. CAEP cannot pay for any extra services for students in this area. The school safety plan will be needed to accommodate the safety for students there after hours.

**Lenore:** Still enrolling in our programs. Students can learn while they earn. We have had a few students get hired. It is easy for students to get in our program.

**Marlon:** We have 300 students that have been served and plan to continue those services.

**Jasmine:** Marlon provides that information on who he served per agency and be sure to reach out to him if needed.

**Nohora:** We met with the data team yesterday and had a productive meeting, so they understood the data that needs to be recorded and reported. They were very interested in the update slip and the forms that provide information they need to compile. The teams feel more comfortable on what they need to track.

**Blair:** We will be sending out a Google Form.

**Pauline:** We need to put a nomination of a student on our radar for next year with ACSA to highlight one of our students as Adult Ed student of the year (their deadline has already passed for this year). OTAN has a deadline for March 21<sup>st</sup>.

**Anthony:** We could do something similar at our Community Forum.

## **XI. Adjourn**

- Ken Swanson, San Jacinto, moved to adjourn
- David Schlottman, Temecula, second
- All approved, so moved

Jasmine Port adjourned the meeting at 11:10 a.m.