



**Steering
Committee**

Joyce Johnson
MSJC
Chair

Nohora Vazquez
Lake Elsinore USD
Co-Director

Jasmine Port
MSJC
Co-Director

Melissa Lee
Banning USD
Member

Matthew Centofranchi
Hemet USD
Member

Anthony Coronado
Beaumont USD
Member

Morgan Quick
Murrieta Valley USD
Member

Dr. Pauline Garcia
Perris UHSD
Member

Ken Swanson
San Jacinto USD
Member

David Schlottman
Temecula Valley USD
Member

Nicole Ramirez
Riverside County
Office of Education
Member

AEP Steering Committee Meeting
Fri., January 10, 2025 - 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.

MVC – Building 3000, Rm 3026
28237 La Piedra Rd., Menifee, CA

MINUTES

Participants:

Blair Bradley – Hemet, Nancy Carr, Miriam Brijandez, Jasmine Port – MSJC, Nohora Vazquez – Lake Elsinore, Pauline Garcia – Perris, Morgan Quick – Murrieta, Ken Swanson, – San Jacinto, Anthony Coronado – Beaumont, Melissa Lee – Banning, David Schlottman, Chris Rivard – Temecula, Arthur Kimball, Nicole Ramirez – RCOE, Marlon Hernandez – SRAE Transition Specialist

I. Call to Order:

Meeting called to order at 9:01 a.m. by Jasmine Port

II. Approval of December 13, 2024 Minutes

- Ken Swanson, San Jacinto, moved to approve the minutes
- David Schlottman, Temecula, second
- All approved, so moved

III. Community Forum Format

Jasmine: Sent out the Save The Date for you to get to those you want to invite to the Community Forum. We have been successful with the different themes for our presentation, and we are opening to suggestions for the format.

Nohora: We want to bring something different, so it isn't repetitive, but we want them to know our data. We presented fact sheets at the last event. We want to represent our successes. Admin, classified and faculty helped with the presentation to cover all aspects. What would you like to see in defining the format for this.

Blair: Maybe we do the walk around at the beginning instead of at the end when most left when the program finished.

Jasmine: Historically we have invited leadership but it's mostly us, so we need to focus on our audience.

Nohora: Based on the Brown Act all consortiums are required to present to their communities. We have historically used this type of event for showcasing our outcomes and highlighting our services.

David: Have we invited the media? The stories were good news, and everyone enjoyed that part of it.

Blair: It truly goes to the purpose of the event to let the community know what we are doing. Maybe we need to tap our agency's public information offices to cover the event. We need to get keynote speakers.

David: What about RCOE Superintendent? That would draw attention.

Jasmine: We need everyone to be thinking about the format and options. We know we will need to identify student speakers too. We are in the planning phase.

Arthur: I will check with our superintendent.

Ken: It isn't best when we bring someone to speak that isn't familiar with our programs. Perhaps Mr. Bradley could be the keynote.

Nohora: We do have different layers to highlight our presence.

Pauline: Our mayor of Perris has been very supportive; he is knowledgeable and passionate. He is pushing for more jobs in our community. He has been working with the community schools to bring in more CTE.

Nohora: We could break our event into segments and then have different keynotes to highlight the segments in the three hours that we have. We could do activities with keynote.

Blair: To show how the elements of our communities are represented. A county supervisor, a mayor, superintendent and the student speakers.

Nohora: Pauline, can you reach out, Arthur, can you reach out, Ken can you reach out? With more experience now we know how we can do things differently. We want to bring someone from your district that represents leadership. You are already bringing staff so if you bring leadership, it will reflect the importance of our programs. A few years ago, we tried a newsletter to share information, facts and testimonials and we could look at a single page of something like that for the audience to take with them and share after the event.

Jasmine: I think the newsletter is a good idea and even though we did the tri-folds last year, it wasn't something that they took with them.

Blair: That will be good, especially for media coverage.

Jasmine: Keep all these suggestions on your radar so we can nail down the details. We have some great ideas.

Blair: We can find items that impact our communities and focus on where the needs are. Maybe a student panel where students can take questions rather than doing speeches.

Jasmine: At the last director's meeting, there were panels speaking to the powers of adult ed. That's a good idea. We would like to have topics pinned down by our February meeting.

Nohora: As soon as we have confirmation we can move ahead from there.

Blair: Do we need a district level presenter? Superintendent, leadership position.

Jasmine: I will check to see if Dr. Schultz is available.

Melissa: I will check with our superintendent.

Anthony: I will check with our superintendent.

Nohora: We still need to define that activity.

Jasmine: Inland Empire consortium co-author on promising practices study. Findings on best practices and current climate of adult ed study. She might be someone that could come. I will check into it. We will still need to determine the leads presentation depending on who we secure to cover all the elements of the communities.

Nohora: Keynotes will want us to tell them what we want them to focus on to stay in alignment. We will bring this all to the next meeting to nail down the specific areas.

Blair: If we do the posters, our data is still not in.

IV. Three-Year Plan - Metrics

Nohora: This item will be discussed in the closed session.

V. Three-Year Plan – Focus Group Leads

Nohora: This item will be discussed in the closed session.

VI. Fiscal Approvals:

Nohora: Any approvals for today?

Melissa: Are we still talking about reallocating?

David: Is anyone else participating in the Form 700 board which determines funding.

Nohora: This board is part of your duties so it wouldn't fall under that.

Nohora: Melissa is asking about reallocation of the pot of money that we have available for consortium-wide projects. The question is, are we continuing with these unallocated funds or are we going to grab those funds and distribute them to the members, so we don't have to worry about spending the money. We need to decide if we want to keep it there or distribute it. When the distribution happens, I can push my funds to whoever I want. If you aren't interested in receiving your pot of the pie then you can give that to someone else. We would start at baseline and if we decide to move forward.

Blair: We do a lot of purchasing at the consortium level so how does that work.

Jasmine: Fiscal lead handles the ASAP contract.

Blair: Will this hamper any consortium-wide activities?

Nohora: Valerie sent a budget update and there wasn't a lot of funds. This rolls over as well. We were okay in 2024 so the balance is what we need to spend by December 2025.

Jasmine: We have \$125,000 that needs to be spent by Dec. 2025 and we have \$152,000 that needs to be spent by Dec. 2026. We were able to spend 2024 with the GradComm contract. The PD support comes out of the unallocated. For fiscal lead we have \$40,000 for 2025 and \$40,000 for 2026. We have struggled with spending down that unallocated pot but we have added the marketing and PD staff support. We will want to keep a reserve so we want to support but we don't want to undercut our other commitments.

Melissa: Checking to see if there are funds to send more staff to CASAS?

Nohora: We can do one-time money.

Pauline: In spending rollover money, if you need to reallocate. If we were to find a balance based on outcomes and growth to make sure we have funds available for our projects as well as our programs.

Jasmine: We will get updated information from our fiscal team and follow up at the February meeting.

Blair: You can still come forward with requests.

Jasmine: Regarding bringing on SurveyMonkey for the nine agencies. MSJC would carry the account as the fiscal lead and would be the account holder and there is some issue with the data sharing and having an agreement and it not fitting with our timeline. It may be that each agency will have it's own contract with the company. We need to go back to SurveyMonkey for the agency quotes. That will be a high priority for approval from your agency. You can do a declaration of funds for the additional cost.

Anthony: I have to submit it three weeks before board meetings and it is a slow process.

Nohora: Can you have a conversation with your districts to determine the process and speed of completion? You will need to put in place what you need so it is a conversation you will need to have with your IT. We may have to go to Google Forms with the difficulties in getting new software initiated in our districts. If you can clear with your IT, then there may not be any issues. Explain that this program is a way that we can aggregate the information. It will be managed by your agency and your staff.

Jasmine: I think you should be good, it's the cross-sharing of information that seems to be the issue. We will get a revised quote from SurveyMonkey.

Nohora: Your organizations are probably familiar with the software. We will support the costs.

VII. Comments:

Blair: For the new ESL, how is it going at Temecula?

David: It is going well.

Blair: If you are interested in Ellii training that the consortium has paid for, let me know.

VIII. Adjourn

- Ken Swanson, San Jacinto, moved to adjourn
- Pauline Garcia, Perris second
- All approved, so moved

Jasmine Port adjourned the meeting at 10:05 a.m.